Greetings South Bay residents!
We thought it would be valuable to provide statistics and facts concerning each South Bay neighborhood in turn. This week, we are excited to present demographic and geographic information about our beloved Redondo Beach. As Redondo residents who spend a majority of our time engrossed in our community, it is eye-opening to take a step back and “look at the numbers.” Our intent is to provide an outsider’s view of our beach-side home-town and perhaps learn a bit along the way.
This first grouping of stats is centered around the real estate side of things and comes courtesy of Trulia:
- Median Sales Price $969,500
- Price per SF $611
- Median Rent per Month: $3,900
Now, let’s get a feel for the people who are living in these owned and rented homes:
- The Redondo Beach Population is 67,511 people
- With RB’s square mileage of 6.35 miles, the population density equates to 10,982 people per square mile
- 63% of homes in RB are owner occupied (encouraging, as this promotes deeper community roots and pride of ownership!)
- 63% of the RB Population is married
- Consequently, 37% of Residents are single (how is your math?)
- The Median Age of RB residents is 41
- $98,338 is the Median Household Income
- 64% of the RB community is college educated
- 96% Commute by Car
- 1% Commute by public transport
So, who works to help keep these 67,511 residents thriving? Redondo.Org explains:
“The Mayor and Council are the elected representatives of the residents of Redondo Beach. They formulate policy, enact laws, promote community interests and implement programs and services that enhance the quality of life for those who live, work, visit and play in the City.
The Mayor is elected at large and one Council Member is elected from each of the five City districts. [Council Districts Map] The Mayor and Council also sit as members of the Successor Agency to the Former Redevelopment Agency, Parking Authority, Public Financing Authority and Housing Authority. Council Meetings are held on the first and Third Tuesdays of each month beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at 415 Diamond Street”
Of course, a synopsis of Redondo Beach would not be complete without highlighting the wonderfully mild climate we have all been spoiled by:
- The highest monthly average temperature in Redondo Beach for July is 74 degrees.
- The lowest monthly average temperature in Redondo Beach for January is 59 degrees.
Did we miss anything? Be sure to share your favorite Redondo Beach stats or fun-facts – you never know what could come up in a round of trivia!